Continuing on with the website theme update I have now started to apply the same styles used for the blog posts to the pages, I am changing one page at a time, also validating them against the html5 standard, which I am pleased to say most do without making many changes, the enquiry forms I know will not pass html5 validation, not sure what I will do with them yet.
I have also upgraded the spry tabbed panels that were on the easi-joist definitions, trussed rafter definitions, downloads, and McCarthy and Stone pages to the latest version and have changed the styles so they are a better fit with the sites new theme. As you can see from this picture, the tabs are now spaced slightly, this meant that I had to merge some tabs on the trussed rafter definitions page to ensure all the tabs remained on the one row. On the whole this has lead to code for those pages being much less cluttered, which will make them easier to update in the future. One thing to note about the updated theme for the spry tabbed panels and tables is that the gradient backgrounds for these elements will only appear in the latest versions of firefox, safari and chrome, meaning that in the older versions of those browsers and in opera and internet explorer a plain background will appear instead.
Today I modified the navigation panel slightly by renaming the ‘Roofing’ section ‘Trussed Rafters’ and the ‘Flooring’ section ‘easi-joist’, I also moved … As I wrote this post I was distracted by a smell of burning and the hallway filling with smoke, it seems my idiot brother put something under the grill and then decided to leave it unattended, disaster averted now back to the topic at hand.
… As I was saying I have also moved the easi-joist Roofing page out of the now ‘Trussed Rafter’ section and into the now ‘easi-joist’ section, I have also updated the breadcrumbs at the top of each page. I am planning on starting work on a new page for the easi-joist attic truss, I don’t know which section I will put it in yet because it is both a trussed rafter and an easi-joist, I could always put it in both sections I suppose. One option would be to put it in the trussed rafter section and then create a link to it from the easi-joist roofing page where some information about the easi-joist attic truss already exists.
Today I updated the directions page of our website, I removed all the out-of-date directions that I wrote a few years ago and replaced it with the new google directions gadget. The google directions gadget gives customers the ability to get customised directions from wherever they are direct to our location, to find out more about this gadget visit the google webmaster central blog.
After a few hours trying to get a php if… else statement working I was finally able to extend the dynamic highlighting effect for the navigation panel into the blog, so if you are on the 2006 archive page the 2006 archive will be highlighted in the navigational panel. I have also moved the header, search box, menu, and page footer for the main site into separate files, to make it easier to update them and to reduce the size of the individual pages. At the same time I have converted most of the site to php rather than html, this means if I need to include something from the blog in the main site I can without any problems, the only part of the site that isn’t php now are the error pages which will remain asp for now.
I have just completed updating wordpress from version 2.7.1 to version 8, there was a slight problem during the update which meant that the blog, the eandhbaxendale.com home page and the successful enquiry page were down for a while. To fix the incomplete automatic update I had to manually install the update which was a slow process given that Adobe Dreamweaver kept dropping the connection to the web server, but I got there in the end and all is well again.
Now that the blog is up and running properly, the only change still to make is to switch the theme to a theme based upon the rest of eandhbaxendale.com, I have moved all the news articles from the existing news page into the blog and later today I will delete the news page and setup a 301 redirect to the blog.
I have also removed the latest new articles from the home page and replaced them with excerpts from the four latest blog posts, this has meant changing the home page (index.html) from an html page into a php page so it would work with the blog. This change however should not cause any problems though because all links to the home page should be addressed as http://www.eandhbaxendale.com/ which automatically displays any page named index whatever the extension.
The Links & Downloads page has been updated with the full set of TRA Product Data Sheets and Wolf Systems downloads, including information about Bracing, Attic Trusses etc.
As you may have noticed there is a new addition to the left side of the page, the site and web search panel which is powered by Microsoft’s Live Search. This feature has been added to all pages and the existing collapsable panels updated to match the new style.
The Cullen Metalwork page has been updated
Technical page added, documents added to the technical page include the Wolf Systems Technical Manual and the Wolf Systems Nailplate Agreement certificate.